Tuesday, December 2, 2008

An Oldie’s Dating Diary

Today’s generation might claim that online dating brings the real joy of dating but even the dating that existed in our generation was also fun. I have dated some of the most beautiful women in our locality during my youth. I met my late wife Mel through dating only. Even today I can remember our first date clearly. She was a close friend of my best friend Andy’s girl friend, Juliet. One day while we were having coffee at a restaurant, she also was there with her cousin. Juliet invited them to join us. She was pretty, in fact very pretty with a perfect figure and height. I am not exaggerating but she looked just like Kate Winslet in her long skirt, suit and hat in the movie Titanic. For the first time in my life I was a bit nervous even with the company of so many people. The whole evening she gave a mysterious look and twinkling smile towards me.

I kept thinking about her long after that coffee encounter. No doubt I was interested in her but I didn’t know what was in her mind and then she was Juliet’s best friend also, so was feeling a bit self-conscious to ask Juliet about her. Don’t know if luck was on my side or what, but one day Juliet asked me that if am not otherwise engaged, would I like to go for dating with her pretty friend? I said “are you kidding, I have been waiting for this since the last so many days; I would love to go for dating with your best friend.”

On the day of our dating, I picked up Mel from Juliet’s place. She was looking gorgeous. I couldn’t believe this pretty girl was my date for the evening. I wanted this dating to be very memorable for both of us. So I had booked the best restaurant in the city. But guess that was not one of those good days of my life. We were on the mid way when my car was encountered with flat-tyre problem. Somehow I repaired that and we reached the restaurant. To my bad luck as were late to reach the venue, the manager of the restaurant very happily allotted our table to someone else. Great, as if my misery wasn’t enough, this guy increased it even more. I didn’t know what I am gonna do now, when Mel rescued me from my embarrassment by suggesting to go to a nearby relatively cheap but popular food joint. That was when I found another quality of Mel to like, i.e. her understanding and adjustment nature.

Anyways, my first dating with Mel passed smoothly for the rest of the evening. We talked for a while during our dinner, but I just wanted to sit and keep looking at her. Mel also sensed that for she was blushing the whole time. I just wished time would stop then and there. After dinner when I was on my way to drop Mel, I had already decided to ask her for another date. But don’t know what got into me, I couldn’t utter a single word. I was just about to say bye when Mel as if could read my mind and asked me when we are going to meet next. My joy knew no bound. I could have hugged her then and there. But I controlled my emotions and scheduled our next dating for the very weekend. We got married after dating for a couple of months. I was in love with her from the first moment I saw her, and when she accepted my proposal I felt like the luckiest man in this world.

We had a very happy married life for 35years until she passed away last year. Now when I see my grandson Kevin going crazy for online dating, its kinda history repeats itself!

No comments: