Thursday, November 20, 2008

Free Online Dating Service- A Podium for New Lease of Life

Until two years back, I had never taken life seriously, I had everything I wanted in life. At 23, I was a successful investment banker, financially as well as career-wise I was very successful, I had a great friend circle, was a member of several charitable societies and had recently been dating some very gorgeous women. You can say life was perfect for me! Two of my favorite hobbies included Hiking and Para-Gliding, but when life suddenly took a turn for the worst, everything changed overnight for me.

One night, heading home after drinking at a friends party, I had a major car accident. It was so severe that I spent twp days unconscious. When I woke up on the third day my world was upside down. Doctors informed me that to save my life, my right leg had to be amputated.

At first, I couldn’t understand what was happening around me. It took quite a long time before I accepted the fact that my life would be different from here on out. I was angry at everything and everyone around me. I didn’t know how else to react, my life was so perfect and now, I felt as if fate had kicked me from my throne.

Even though my colleagues and friends were very supportive, I felt like shutting myself away from everyone. I even took a sabbatical break which was difficult as I had always been somewhat of a workaholic.

I would wallow for hours reading and surfing the net and finally, one day, while browsing I stumbled upon a free online dating service exclusively for the physically disabled! I was aware of free online dating services in the past, and had even given it a shot a few times in the past. I think it’s a great medium for anyone looking to meet interesting people. But a free online dating service for the handicapped is something I had never heard of. I was surprised to see such astounding member numbers on the free online dating service. I spent some time visiting a few profiles which looked interesting and sent off a few messages to anyone I felt might be a good match, I wasn’t sure if I was interested in a relationship or friendship, but I was hoping to find something.

I created a profile hoping to meet some new people, and ask for advice regarding coping with my disability. I chatted with a couple of other online members on the first day, and it helped me to feel better. For the next few days I was a regular to the free online dating service and I noticed one girl named Jessica was often on the same time as I was. Through chat, we gradually became friends. We could relate to each other. Jessica, just like myself, had lost her legs in an accident. But I was amazed to find her so cheerful through her talks as if nothing had happened.

It’s been two months since I met her on the free online dating service and thanks to her only today, I feel better about life. I can’t say for certain that I know what she thinks of me, but I know my life would be better with her in it.

In the end, I guess losing my leg was bittersweet, my life is forever different, but ive met a great girl through an free online dating service.

No comments: