Thursday, June 25, 2009

Can Online Dating Sites Give Me The Guy Of My Dreams?

When I first heard of online dating, I was very suspicious of the activities that go on in these online dating sites. I was of the view that these sites only catered to aimless flirting which ultimately resulted in one of the participants being hurt. My friend, Marie, changed my entire perception. She was intensely involved with a guy she had encountered in one of theseonline dating sites. I was very worried for her expecting the guy to dump her. But to my pleasant surprise, both of them tied the knot and are happily married. In fact, her husband literally dotes on her.

This was the first time I heard of people making a success of their encounters in the online dating sites. I was sufficiently impressed and decided to try for myself. I took all the information from my friend and signed up on a site. The site was quite impressively designed and I dived into it with a thudding heart. I searched for different people who matched my preferences and there were quite a few who did. I decided to try out my luck with a guy named Nick. He was employed in a bank and his interests also matched mine. Both of us liked being outdoors and traveling a lot. Our common interests included basketball and table tennis. I played the violin and he played the guitar.

He had already been married once but divorced. His ex-wife had extracted a fat alimony from him and he was sick of her. Nick also had a 5-year old daughter who stayed with her mother. It was most probably our fifth meeting after those days on the online dating sites that Nick told me all this. At first, I didn’t know how to react. I must admit that I was a little disappointed that I was not his first love. It was a little while before I thought that if he was free of his ties with his former wife then there was no problem.

Actually, I was wrong. When his ex-wife found out that Nick was dating me, she broke all hell loose. I could not understand why she was so possessive about Nick after divorcing him. Although I was prepared to give it a good fight, Nick was not as strong as I had supposed. He started giving excuses for not meeting me. I found out that Nick was keener on making it up with his ex-wife for the sake of his only daughter. I put a stop to my meetings with Nick and tried to nurse my hurt ego. But it was quite some time before I could visit the online dating sites again.

However, I was not entirely disillusioned with online dating sites. After all, I had met a genuine guy who matched my criteria. There is nothing that one can do if a relationship is not meant to be. I am now on the search for a guy whom I can spend some quality time with. Who knows? I might make a friend for life.

1 comment:

Alina Farace said...

I totally agree with the idea of internet dating. I feel free dating websites are cool places for finding friends, soulmate... and you never know you might just land up with you Mr. /Ms Right! :)

Here free dating website join now : http://www.adultfindout.com/adult-dating-resources.html