Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Matchmaker Dilemma

It was the obvious choice! Now, if I could only get them to see it. My best friends, in all the world, belonged together, but they just didn’t see the spark. They were the perfect pair, but they didn’t know it. So, of course I played matchmaker. I got them together as often as I could. I created romantic evenings, then conveniently left them alone. I worked so hard at being a matchmaker, that I didn’t have time for my own romance. I spent more time living romance, vicariously, through them, that I really didn’t date at all.

Being a matchmaker is risky business, too. Every time they had a fight, I was dragged in. If a date went bad, it was all my fault. Any of this sound familiar? Have you ever played matchmaker? Well, i gave it up. They did get married, but I was still miserably alone. They had the ‘Happily Ever After,” almost. I had no-one to even consider a date with. I now needed my own matchmaker, but I was fresh out of well meaning, best friends.

It was this phase of my life that really opened my eyes to the other options that were out there. I never would have considered an on-line dating site before. It wasn’t that they were bad, just that I was too conventional. Turning thirty does something to you, though. I realized that my childish belief of love, falling in your lap, was a dream. I needed to take action for it to be able to find me. So I tried, for the very first time, a virtual matchmaker. It turned out to be so easy. I never get matched up with a complete failure, they knew what I was looking for. I am still not married, but I have enjoyed some amazing dates.

No comments: