Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Prince of the City

There was this guy Boris who claimed to be a relative of the last czar of Russia, Nicholas II. I met him in an Irish bar in Manhattan, NY of all places. He seemed to have a lot of money so who was I to doubt his story. After all he was not the first or would be the last to claim royal blood.

He stated that he did not want women desiring him only for his money so he recently signed on with a service providing online dating. I had a positive experience with online dating myself so I agreed with him. Boris told me that he had met many women and most were his type except for one thing. They kept setting him up with women who were not Russian. He said he would settle for something close to Russian like a Serbian or Bulgarian but that too had not yet materialized.

We met at the same bar some two weeks afterwards and I could hardly recognize Boris. He bought rounds of drinks for a filled bar. He was stone sober but in an ebullient mood. When I started speaking with him it was apparent that the online dating had served its purpose. Boris was jabbering about Katarina whom he had met a week earlier. He showed me her picture. She was beautiful and Russian. Boris kept singing the praises of online dating. Online dating is all I heard for the next two hours.

I want to bring this story to its proper conclusion. Boris thought the online dating was successful and it was for a different reason. Not that the woman was wealthy, which she was. Not that she was pretty and Russian, which she was both. But, Katarina also claimed to be related to someone in the Russian royal family. How true both of their stories were, I do not know. I do know they both are advocates of online dating. That is for sure.

No comments: