Friday, September 11, 2009

Love and the Web in the 21st Century

Free dating sites are those websites like www.kisscafe.com that match singles up on the net with romantic intent. Sites like these, until recently, were seen perhaps as an oddity, but by the sheer business that these free dating sites are now generating, it’s clear that the free dating sites concept is becoming quite mainstream.

I myself do not fit the pejorative description of the person that used to come to mind when discussing free dating sites. I am in my late twenties, I’m outgoing, have a career, and I certainly do not count myself among the lonely or lovelorn. But my college days are quite far behind me now, and I spend a lot of time in my career. For a stretch of a few months now I’m realizing that in modern adult life finding a girl to take out is a lot more about luck than it used to be. And after all, more and more perfectly well-adjusted people freely admit to meeting online these days.

Anyway, I thought, why not, I don’t have anything to lose just from trying free dating sites once. My experience is something I’ll that I’ve decided to keep private for reasons of personal decency, but I did come away with the revelation that free dating sites really have quite a lot to offer. When I really thought about it, what’s the difference between meeting a girl in a coffee shop or on free dating sites really? The only real difference is that using free dating sites is much easier and to the point, and any embarrassing mishaps will only leave me dateless until the next time I log on. And that, indeed, is much shorter of a time than the next time I have the opportunity to ask out a girl at a coffee place.

No comments: